Monday, September 14, 2009

a series of art, an exodus, and the aftermath...cont












The other three pieces....

4-6 : These three pieces are the designs I made for Oh, Sleeper (christian hardcore band), the first two being shirt designs and the third being a show poster. They center around the lyrics and themes of their first album "When I am God" which follow the struggle against the flesh and the spirit through a war and battle analogy. Of particular note was the final song "The End of a Dark Campaign" which presents the allegory of being wounded in battle, calling for the medic, and the choice to lay down in defeat or get up and continue the fight (derived from the lyrics "Lay dead or charge the line") symbolizing the personal war against our human nature. Thus the three soldiers represent three choices: the two with the X's (from the slaughterhouse mark placed on the doomed animals) have chosen to accept defeat, and the third (the X has now become a cross representative of the medic and Christ) taking arms again to press on despite his wound.

Although I am a very harsh self-critic, I must say I am quite satisfied with this body of work especially considering it is my first foray into art for band promotion. I only hope now that someday I may actually be able to do this as a career.

No comments: